Glycolic Acid is one of the members of the Alpha Hydroxy Acid families, also including malic acid, citric acid, lactic acid, and others. But the most popular and most effective of them all is Glycolic Acid.
Glycolic acid is derived from sugar beets, pineapples, sugar cane to treat a lot of skin conditions. In its raw state, it is a colorless powder with no scent.
This acid is present in many skin care products like moisturizers, toners, body balms, salves, hair cream, and others.
Glycolic Acid Uses
- Glycolic Acid, like other Alpha hydroxy acid, is used to exfoliate the upper layer of the skin, removing the dull looking keratinous layer so that the fresh, glowing, youthful underlying skin can come to life
- Glycolic acid is an effective skin lightener, fading off skin blemishes like scars, age spots, sun spots, acne scars, hyperpigmentation, and much more
- Glycolic acid will also treat your blackheads, whiteheads, and other acne challenges you might be facing at the moment
- Glycolic acid will exfoliate your scalp, removing the build-up of dandruff on your head
- Glycolic acid will aid in your hair’s moisture retention for a smoother and softer feel
- Glycolic acid will rejuvenate damaged hair that has been subjected to heating from styling
- Glycolic acid is used to treat various skin conditions like seborrheic keratosis, melisma, and psoriasis
- Glycolic acid is used to treat the signs of aging like wrinkles and fine lines, skin discoloration, and scarring
- When used in low strength, glycolic acid will replenish your skin moisture content, making it supple
- Glycolic acid will boost the collagen production of your skin for a firmer, wrinkles free skin
Glycolic Acid Side Effects
Most of the side effects come as a result of using Glycolic acid more than the recommended 10%. So in that note, Glycolic acid may leave the skin with some of these effects:
- Skin scarring, flaking, and dryness
- Stinging sensation and swelling of the skin for few minutes
- It makes your skin prone to the effects of the UVA and UVB from the sun
- Itchiness, redness, and skin inflammation may also occur
- Scabbing, brown or black spot, and skin peeling