Tamanu Oil is extracted from the Nut kernels found in the evergreen tree called Calophyllum inophyllum. Tamanu Oil was discovered by the native people of Tahiti some thousands of years ago.
Tamanu Oil, sometimes called beauty-leaf oil, kamanu oil, Tamanu Nut oil, ball nut tree oil, ball nut oil, and other names has a long shelf life of 2 years and a comedogenic rating of 2. It has a thick texture with a greenish yellow color.
Tamanu Oil is loaded with Stearic acid, Calophyllic Acid (anti-inflammatory), Palmitic Acid, Oleic Acid, Linoleic Acid, delta-tocotrienol (a form of vitamin E), and other antioxidants. It also contains antibacterial, and healing properties.
Now let’s look at the hair and skin use of Tamanu Oil:
Tamanu Oil Skin Uses
- Tamanu Oil is an excellent scar eradicator. Just apply some drops of this Oil on your scar for several weeks and you won’t see the scar again
- Tamanu Oil makes an excellent moisturizer, adding life to your skin while making it supple and soft
- Tamanu Oil is loaded with antioxidants that will prevent fast aging caused by the free radicals
- Tamanu Oil will make your skin glow and clear
- Tamanu Oil is loaded with antibacterial properties that will cure pimples and acne problems while soothing any resulting inflammation
- Do you have a sunburn? Apply Tamanu Oil to cure it in days
- Tamanu Oil is used topically to relieve pains caused by shingles, cold sores, and sciatica
- Tamanu Oil will fade off your stretch marks and other skin blemishes you might have – burn, scrapes, cuts, blisters, and even insect bites
- Tamanu Oil hasten the healing process of wounds
- Tahitians and Polynesians use Tamanu Oil to protect their skin from the harmful UV rays (But make sure you don’t depend on this Oil solely for cover).
Tamanu Oil Hair Uses
- The antibacterial property of Tamanu Oil makes it a great Oil For treating dry, damaged hair
- Tamanu Oil serves as a natural conditioner, moisturizing and nourishing your hair. Apply the oil to your scalp and massage gently for 5 minutes. Leave it on for few hours before washing off with your shampoo
- Tamanu Oil will treat your split end and hair loss easily. Use it as your hot oil treatment
- Tamanu Oil will add volume to your thinning hair
Tamanu Oil Side Effects
- Tamanu Oil has a comedogenic rating of 2. This makes it an occlusive Oil (it might block your pores). So, if you have an acne-prone or oily skin, you should do away with this oil.
- Tamanu Oil may leave some skin with irritation, redness, itching, and other adverse allergies. If you experience any of these, please consider Neem Oil, which is a potent alternative