Although dandruff is harmless and doesn’t indicate any serious medical condition that can get you agitated. Nevertheless, the white or yellow, scale-like Dandruff can be frustrating and embarrassing. In fact, some people label people with dandruff to be dirty or diseased.
Some people also fear stigmatization when it gets to sharing hair care instruments like combs, hair pins, etc.
Dandruff usually starts between the age of 10 and 20 and affects close to 40% of the people above 30 years.
Symptoms of Dandruff
Itchy scalp, greasy or dry scalp are some of the symptoms of dandruff.
Dandruff flakes are usually scattered all over the scalp. And some cases, reddish scaling may occur on the nose and chest, around the ears, and the hairline.
Now The 11 Causes of Dandruff
- Dry Skin and Dry Scalp– Probably the most prevalent cause of dandruff. Deep down in your skin, skin cells are constantly And as they develop, they begin to find their way up to the epidermis. As they move, they start to divide and die. So by the time the skin cells get to the surface, they are already dead (keratinous cell).
These dead cells are constantly shedding (every 14 days on average). But for dry skin people, the rate of shedding may become rapid, causing the buildup of the dead keratinous cell on the skin…and even on the scalp. This will then cause the white, flaky buildup of dandruff.
- HIV/Aids – Research has it that almost 11% of the people living with HIV suffer from
- Poor Diet – Generally, eating balanced diets is one of the factors to having a fabulous hair and sound health. Also, when you eat food containing vitamins, minerals, proteins, fatty acid, your scalp will thank you!
- Yeast Infection – Some researchers believe that dandruff is caused by the presence of the yeast called Pityrosporum ovale. And the effect of dandruff is more prevalent during the dry season than the raining season.
- Stress and Anxiety – Studies have it that when you stress yourself too long, you tend to grow old quickly. Mental stress and anxiety are also responsible for causing dandruff. When you engage in proper rest and find time to relax with your hobby (maybe swimming or dancing, etc.), your dandruff can be curbed.
- Seborrheic dermatitis – It is a chronic skin inflammation that occurs in areas with extensive sebaceous glands. In adults, it tends to appear on the upper trunk, face, and the scalp. In seborrheic dermatitis, the affected areas of the skin are covered by oily scales.
- Dirty Scalp – Dirty scalp tends to attract a lot of microbes…withovale included. When your scalp is dirty, your scalp is blocked with dirt, pollution, sebum, and keratin (dead skin cell).
- Skin Disease – People with eczema, psoriasis, and other skin diseases may likely have dandruff as well.
- High Steroid Intake and Long Term Medication – High intake of Steroid and drug may likely cause dandruff, which may also drag into baldness if care is not taking.